"To be chic is something you have inside..." Carine Roitfeld, the woman whom I adore and admire, was on My Theresa the other week sharing her style secrets with one of the most fabulous shopping destinations on the web as a part of the My Theresa Women Series. Dressed head to toe in Tom Ford who refers to Roitfeld as "the ideal woman", the charismatic, elegant Parisienne, stylist, former Vogue Paris editor-in-chief, fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar and founder of CR Fashion Book gives us an unforgettable lesson of finding one's own style without taking the subject of being chic too seriously... Maybe because she is the one who was born with it... And here are a few notes on how to play with fashion on your own terms.
* You can't learn to be chic. You can learn how to avoid errors, but to be chic is something you have inside.
* Clothes are very important. They can change your life, they can change your day - you can be nicer because you feel more beautiful. But the person is far more important that what she's wearing.
* Never wear anything that's not you. I always think about a woman in front of me - not a coat in front of me. The style secret of any woman is knowing what's good for her.
* Have a certain style uniform. Do not compromise on your personal style to suit a situation.
* Start the day with the lingerie. It's the first piece of fashion, so it drives the choice of the clothes.
* Keep it simple - it's better to take off something than to add something.
* Every 10 years ago back to your wardrobe and edit it, Tom Ford told me once.
* Diamonds make you look like Marilyn Monroe, very beautiful. That's my current trend, to wear diamonds.
Photo source: Carine Roitfeld photographed for My Theresa Women Series / Episode 9 (Creative consultant: Michelle Jank, photography: Leoor Kaufman, editor: Tom Schumann)